Creation in March 2018
The project will tackle the topic of fear which we have experienced since childhood (nightmares, fear of wolves, fear of “going on stage”,…) to the final fear which is our passing (the same goes for the actors at the end of the show). Since its very beginnings the circus has been deliberately conveying that feeling of fear, of danger with its freaks, its wild animals, its salto mortale,…
tratch – a fear song is a circular musical project – company’s big top or performance hall, with the spectators placed on the stage – mixing acrobalance with lyrical singing as well as with the actors and spectators in circular intimacy.
My hope in bringing together three amazing cirquesters and a lyrical singer is to carry that singer, and thus symbolically “carry the voice”. Playing with the bodies, building trust and trying to demonstrate that our fears can be a driving force for everyone within the limits of their abilities and in their own manner to try something else.
We want to gather in the same enclosed circular space the circus – which many still consider as a sport – and lyric art, which is a synthesis of all arts. Then try to build in close complicity with the audience an “egalitarian” space accessible to all. It is the role of art and of any democratic system where everyone has a right and a duty to be heard, to “carry their voices” and thus change themselves and change the world.
After carrying several experiments around that intuition – three cirquester carrying a lyrical singer -, it was essential for me to try to sublimate the unique poetry conveyed by the voice and the bodies.
- DURATION : 70 MINUTES
- FROM THE AGE OF 14
- 5 ARTISTS
- SINGER : JULIE CALBETE
- CIRCUS ARTIST : AIRELLE CAEN
- CIRCUS ARTIST : GUILLAUME SENDRON
- CIRCUS ARTIST : DENIS DULON
- LIVE MUSICIAN : IN PROGRESS
- AUTHOR AND STAGE DIRECTOR : PATRICK MASSET
- MUSICAL ARRANGMENT : MAX VANDERVORST & JEAN-LOUIS CORTES
- DRAMATURG : PASCAL JACOB
- SCENOGRAPHER : JOHAN DAENEN
- LIGHT DESIGNER : IN PROGRESS
- COSTUME DESIGNER : COLETTE HUCHARD
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR : VALERY THERET
- STAGE MANAGER : JULIEN FORTUNE
- WITH THE HELP OF : THE FEDERATION WALLONIE-BRUXELLES (CIRCUS, STREET AND FAIRGROUND ARTS DEPARTMENT), THEATRE 140 (B), THE ABATTOIRS OF BOMEL/CULTURAL CENTRE OF NAMUR (B), ESPACE CATASTROPHE (B), THE MANEGE OF GIVET (F), FESTIVAL BIS'ART (B), CULTURAL CENTRE OF BEAURAING (B), ... (IN PROGRESS)